CHINESE POLE WEEK END WORKSHOPS
For the next 2 weekends - CHINESE POLE WEEK END WORKSHOPS
Due to popular demand, Aerial Edge is bringing back one of the rarer circus disciplines – Chinese Pole; with two of the most-sought after Chinese Pole instructors – Alessio Motta and Kate McWilliam!
These workshops will focus on incorporating movements and techniques that develop strength, flexibility and endurance. It is a circus discipline which can range from smooth dance-like moves to extreme acrobatic performances. This class is suitable for all levels and abilities and is open to complete beginners.
"This weekend Sunday"
Alessio Motta is back in Glasgow,fresh from the Turin circus school in Italy, Alessio ran a series of very popular workshops for us . He will be teaching Aerial Edge's Chinese Pole workshop on February 24,2013 SUN (11AM-2PM) at the Briggait. The workshop costs £35.00 and is limited to 12 people.
"Next weekend Saturday"
Straight from London, Kate McWilliam whom we usually see at the EAAC due to popular demand is coming to Glasgow to teach her Chinese Pole Workshop on March 2, 2013 SAT (12NN-2PM). The workshop costs £25.00 and is limited to 12 people.
RIGGING COURSE/ INSPECTION
Earlier this month, Aerial Edge brought to Scotland Jonathan Graham, a founder member of Circus Space and a leading industry expert in performance rigging and circus equipment. Jonathan came to perform the periodic inspection on the aerial rig at the Briggait and to teach the Aerial Edge team how to inspect and maintain our equipment and help us with our health and safety procedures. The event ran over 5 days and included completely taking down our rig at the Briggait, inspecting every inch, and reassembling it. Quite a tough deadline to meet over a few days but we managed it with a lot of learning and laughs along the way.
Catherine taking a rest from being rescued by Toby!
A big thank you to Jonathan for making 5 twelve hour days educational and fun.
During January we ran a workshops for several groups. We had a group of pupils visiting from Tiree who joined us in silks, trapeze, hoop and acrobalance. None of the group had done any circus arts before, but had a great time.
Mark was involved in teaching Peter Pan, Wendy and Captain Hook to fly in January and through the latter part of last year.
We worked with the Children's theatre in Bo'ness for their annual pantomime. The production ran for a week and included a cast of very talented people. The show even including an aerial sword fight with some somersaults. The production ran for a week and included a cast of very talented people. Thanks to Nan for all her hard work in making all this happen!
The 44th Glasgow Explorer Scouts spent a couple of hours with Ben and Mark learning Acro and trapeze and did very well as you can see in the photograph.
GETTING TO KNOW… CHARMAINE PIGGOTT
1: How long have you been learning aerial arts?
This is my 13th year of training and 11th year of teaching! Must be time for a break!
2: What is your discipline of choice and why?
I’ve focused mainly on static trapeze but have dabbled over the years with Lyra (hoop), acrobalance, spanish web, doubles trapeze and flying trapeze. There’s so much you can do with trapeze and there’s always something to learn or perfect.
Although flying trapeze fights for the number 1 spot in my heart. They’re in constant competition (with no complaints from me).
Conditioning of course is also a must!
3: What attracted you?
As a kid I wanted to be the next Nadia! Unfortunately there weren’t any gymnastic clubs where I grew up. When I was 22 I came across static trapeze in Sydney and within 10minutes of my first lesson, I was absolutely hooked!
4: Best part of learning Aerial?
5 people can do the same routine and all look different depending on flexibility & strength. It is a great workout, which works every muscle in your body! Plus I’ve met wonderful friends around the world through the sport.
Aerial training is also a great stress reliever for me. You need to focus on what you’re doing otherwise you can fall (and that hurts!) so that takes your focus away from a stressful day.
5: Do you have a day job?
I’m a veterinary nurse. Both my careers go hand in hand. Wrestling Rottweiler’s definitely helps with trapeze.
6: Best advice ever given?
Never cut corners, give up or lose hope! Just when you think you can’t do any more chin ups for example, you can always do 1 more. Do it right and work hard, it’ll pay off!
Oh and remember the three T’s: Toes, Tits and Teeth!
7: Why do you train with Aerial Edge?
It’s my company. We take a lot of pride in offering high standard of tuition with focus on the woohoo!
Aerial Edge is a massive part of my life and I wouldn’t change it for anything. I’ve met so many wonderful people via our company; have travelled (and taught) in various countries and companies around the world and every lesson a student surprises me, which encourages me to keep teaching. I really enjoy networking and spreading the circus word! Plus we get to run EAAC every year, which is a definite highlight (eaac.info)
8: Tell us something about you that we may not know....
Although I’m a vet nurse, I’m not overly fond of chickens! It’s not a full on phobia but I don’t trust them and do think they’re out to rule the world. If given the chance, they will peck your legs off! Never trust a chicken!
- Youth Circus SUN March 3,17,24,31, 2013 (2:30PM-4PM)
- Intermediate Trapeze SUN March 3,10,17,24,2013 (4PM-5:30PM)
- Beginners Aerial Silks SUN March 3,10,17,24,2013 (5:30PM-7PM)
- Beginners Trapeze SUN March 3,10,17,24, 2013 (7PM-8:30PM)
- Intermediate Trapeze TUE March 5,12,19,26, 2013 (7:30PM-9PM)
- Youth Circus TH March 7,14,21,28,2013 (5:30PM-7PM)
- Beginners Handstand Class TH March 7,14,21,28, 2013 (7PM-8PM)
- Beginners Acrobalance TH March 7,14,21,28, 2013 (8PM-9:30PM)
- Beginners Trapeze MON March 4,11,18,25,2013 (7PM-8:30PM)
- Beginners Aerial Silks MON March 4,11,18,25, 2013 (8:30PM-10PM)
- Beginners Rope WED March 6,13,20,27, 2013 (8:30PM-10PM)
- Beginners Aerial Class TH March 7,14,21,28, 2013 (9:30AM-11AM)
- Beginners Aerial Circus Skills TH March 7,14,21,28, 2013 (7PM-8:30PM)
- Beginners Aerial Hoop and Silks TH March 7,14,21,28, 2013 (8:30PM-10PM)
- Open Training FRI March 1,8,15,22,29, 2013 (6:30PM-8:30PM)
Week End Workshop
- Flying Trapeze opening up soon! Due to the cold dark nights in the Briggait we put our classes on hold for the colder winter months. As part of our Health and Safety practices we inspect our equipment to ensure we can give the maximum excitement and while keeping everyone as safe as possible. February was also time for a 3 year major check up on all flying trapeze parts which we passed with flying colours! We are now ordering some new equipment to keep everything up to date with the latest safety standards which we will be installing and testing during March. We hope to be listing new flying trapeze courses on the website during March which will start back up during April. Keep your eyes on the site and we will be back flying as soon as possible.